Monday, March 31, 2008

I stopped by my bank (TD Canada Trust) on my way home this evening to make a deposit. I have a business account, and when I entered, there was one person in front of me aside from the woman at the window.

Ten minutes later, there were two more people behind me still waiting for the woman to finish up. In addition, there was a grand total of two tellers at the personal windows -- and 16 people waiting in line.

There are two distinct factors at work here:

1) TD needs to put more people on, simple as that. I place no blame whatsoever at the feet of the employees. They worked quickly and were friendly, despite the understandably unfriendly attitudes of the customers who had been waiting for 10-15 minutes.

2) TD needs to take up my idea from an earlier post and start charging people for the amount of time it takes them to do their banking. That one woman -- who appeared to be cashing in several years' worth of change and depositing it in multiple accounts -- took up minutes of not only the teller's time, but also all of us standing there behind her.

Get your house in order before you come to the bank, people -- it's not just your time. And if you don't, you'll pay for it.

No comments: