Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I was watching Lou Dobbs on CNN last night and Douglas Brinkley, an author and historian who lives in New Orleans, was talking about the rebuilding and rebirth of the city. His argument was that despite the widespread damage to the French Quarter and the remainder of N.O., it will rise again because the soul of a city lives in its people. I couldn't agree more, and therefore we should have no problem razing New Orleans entirely, leaving the rubble for wetlands and building 20 miles inland. It's the people, not the location, right, Douglas?

This isn't popular, I know, but isn't it ridiculous to pump all the water out of the fishbowl just to demolish everything inside and start over when there's an excellent chance the same type of destruction could happen again, maybe even before an adequate levee and seawall system can be built? Who's going to insure businesses and homes? Will it be the American taxpayer, who already foots the bill for idiots who live in flood plains?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CMP And UBM Busy In M&A Market
CMP And UBM Busy In M&A Market : Tech media company CMP and parent company United Business Media ... Knight Ridder Paper Launches Citizen Journalism Site : The State in Columbia, S.
This is a great blog with much good info.
My main interest is genealogy, and I have written a genealogy book which you can find along with many articles at my site. I believe it's the only genealogy book of its kind, dealing specifically with search for noble ancestors.

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about ohio genealogy and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about ohio genealogy so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by ohio genealogy